Thursday, February 25, 2010

What should i charge for labor to sheetrock and tape & compound & paint a ceiling, approx 37 sheets 8 ft X 4 f?

just need help with a price to give the guy im doing the job for, was in constuction and capentry for a while, but got out about a yr ago. Not up to date with labor costsWhat should i charge for labor to sheetrock and tape %26amp; compound %26amp; paint a ceiling, approx 37 sheets 8 ft X 4 f?
Hanging the rock will be a bear if you are working alone. You may want to look at renting a jack, and then it will be about 2-3 days of labor to hang the board. If you are a relatively fast taper, you are looking at 4 days of work (tape, mud, mud, final sand). If the lid is higher than you can reach off of the ground, or you have to rent tools, add those costs in. You can prime and paint in one day as long as your ceiling is white. As far as what to charge, it depends on what labor rates are in your area, how close a friend you are talking about, etc. You don't want to rip him off, but you don't want to rip yourself off either. I usually look to make $200-250/day + expenses on side jobs. Hope this helps.What should i charge for labor to sheetrock and tape %26amp; compound %26amp; paint a ceiling, approx 37 sheets 8 ft X 4 f?
Your going to need help to hang the sheetrock,that means you have to pay this person at least 15per hr.Your going to need him for 3 days.You should pay yourself no less than 25per hr.You need 2 days to tape and mud yourself. You need 1 day to sand and place another coat of mud on.If you don';t mud all the time and your not a pro your gonna need another day for finish mud work.Remember,the tape and mud work has to be perfect or in this large ceiling it will show up like a sore thumb and ruin the whole job.I would hire a professional guy on the side and add a 150.00 to it for my profit,Then you need a day to prime and a day to place two coats of finish paint,Add it up and that is your answer
I still do ';side jobs';like that.I have always,and in this economy it might be a good idea,was a pretty good judge of my time.I skipped all the ';official cost'; stuff and figured how much I wanted to make per day,add a little extra for the screw up you don't anticipate but will experience anyway.This is generally cheaper than the big construction companies,I've made what I wanted to make.I'm happy,they're happy.Win/Win.I have work just waiting until I feel like doing it.The people know I'm not in great health,but they'd rather wait on me than bother with anyone else.It works
I agree with Woodtick but would like to add this: you don't mention texture. If you don't do this, allow more time for floating because you're going to have to bust the joints out wider so they don't show up after painting. Keep in mind, the glossier the paint, the more the imperfections will show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment