Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What is the difference between ceiling paint and regular paint?

I have ';acustic ceilings, what is the best paint to use?What is the difference between ceiling paint and regular paint?
This really is just based on your preference -- I am renovating my own home to age in place (am an older single mom), and the current latex paints are responding just well to what I am doing -- both on the ceiling and on the walls.





I have popcorn ceilings (AWFUL) and am taking the extra step of REMOVING that HORRID mess and sanding the ceiling first (including patching where I need to) in order to have a better finish for my ceilings (and believe me, the popcorn ceilings are dust bins -- and I have asthma). So the Latex Interior paint I am using is working really well -- not dripping, but I do take care and take my time when I am painting anyway.





Just make sure that you cover with plastic (and it doesn't have to be the expensive stuff) your furniture before you paint. I did that and everything turned out just fine. And ... make sure to use painter's tape around the edge of the light fixtures of your ceiling to prevent them being painted. I use a paintbrush in corners and around fixtures so that those are done 1st and allow me to use my rollers for the rest (and I use an extension pole so I don't have to spend lots of time on ladders).





I have had no mess. So check out the paints (and color options), and ask at the local hardware store (or Lowes or Home Depot or some store similar). My preference is the Satin Finish (or Eggshell). That provides a beautiful covering and allows the light to reflect the way I like.What is the difference between ceiling paint and regular paint?
Ceiling paints have special formula to minimize imperfections visible on ceilings as light from windows reflects off them from all angles.You probably don't need it for your job but it wouldn't hurt.
Ceiling paint is always flat(traditionally). It can be white or tinted to your choice of colors. Whether it's thicker or not isnt the question....it's all about price. Go to sherwin williams and ask them for ceiling paint. You most likely will pay between $15-20 per gallon(this is very cheap for good paint). An average good quality gallon of sherwin paint is $30-45.





So, price is the difference. That's about it. They dont make a specific ';acoustic ceiling paint';...you'll want to use a 1/2'; roller nap though.....it helps get all the grooves and divits! Good luck.....
Ceiling paint is thicker so it won't drip.
Ceiling paint won't drip on the floor once it's on.
As has been mentioned, ceiling paint is usually a little thicker so it doesn't drip. However I've always used regular wall paint on ceilings and haven't had any trouble.





Some ceiling paints also have color that disappears as it dries. That's so you can see any spots you may have missed -- very useful when using white paint.





Best paint is the kind you get at specialty paint stores. The cheap stuff you get at big-box stores is, well, cheap. Might look just as good at first but use a premium paint if you want it to look good years from now. Same goes for the rollers and brushes -- get the good stuff.





For acoustic ceilings or any other texture the type of paint doesn't matter, but you need a thicker-napped roller than with smooth surfaces.
Yes you need what the trade calls upside down paint which sticks to cielings better
Nothing its all what you prefer. The best thing i would use would be flat paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment