Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What is the best way to remove paint from the ceiling?

We just bought a house, the ceiling paint in the kitchen is cracked and peeling. I have been scraping it for two days but still have a lot of scraping left. Is there a product similar to zip strip that I could put on the ceiling to remove the paint and make the scraping easier? I don't want to ruin the sheet rock.What is the best way to remove paint from the ceiling?
If it that bad I would just put a thin sheet of drywall over the entire ceiling and mud the repaint. there really isn't any great solutions to this problem other then continue scrapingWhat is the best way to remove paint from the ceiling?
Here's a couple of ideas with a couple of different ';looks';.





Knock off anything loose with a scaper, then applly a thin layer of drywall compound to the surface. Use a texture tool for plaster to create a swirl pattern or let the compund dry and spray on texture.





Knock off the loose stuff, then wallpaper with textured paintable wall paper. You can evenm create the appearance of a tin ceiling this way using metallic paint.





Use tongue and groove wood paneling strips to create a ceiling. Beadboard panels also work.
I like the Realtors answer and in fact I'm doing the same in my house.





Certainly putting up new 1/4 inch drywall would be another way to go.





My concern,,,for you,,, is in the paint substance itself. Without knowing the age of the house, or paint, I'd stop scraping anyway, until I knew it was latex.





Steven Wolf
Rip out hte dry wall and put fresh it is easier in the long run and will look better.
Don't scrape anyhitng off except the flakes. Paint it with a primer and re-paint. It'll take a couple of coats, but it's easier than trying to scrape excessively.

No comments:

Post a Comment