Saturday, February 27, 2010

We're trying to paint a popcorn ceiling & fear it has asbestes,lots fell off on the floor & got on my hand

We have a popcorn ceiling (house built in 1977) we tried to paint. Lots fell onto the floor and on my hands. Now I'm worried as I have a 3 month old daughter. What should I do? We don't have money so please don't suggest anything expensive. Should we vaccum it up or put on gloves and try to pick it up?We're trying to paint a popcorn ceiling %26amp; fear it has asbestes,lots fell off on the floor %26amp; got on my hand
Yes popcorn ceilings ';had'; asbestos. The good news is that I think it was phased out before then.





You probably have realized by now it is best to spray those and not roll or brush them to avoid this problem.





I would check the dates when they stopped using it. BUT I have popcorn in my house but it was built in the mid '60's and if I recall correctly from the last time I checked, is that they were already phasing it out by then.





You are more likely to be safe. But the only way to tell is have it tested.





I do not think that vacuuming is recommended as that can blow it around.





I do not think there is a problem with it on your skin. It is breathing it in that is the big risk. But they don't want you spreading it around in any sense on your skin or in the air (if it really is asbestos).We're trying to paint a popcorn ceiling %26amp; fear it has asbestes,lots fell off on the floor %26amp; got on my hand
Find out from your local city government if there's an inspector they can send over to the house to look and see if it is asbestos. Ask him if the seller should have notified you of the presence of asbestos, or if you are on your own. You really will need to have that stuff professionally removed.
asbestos was banned in the 70's as popcorn and they started using styrofoam for popcorn.cant tell you what you have.not enough to be a hazard though.it sounds like styrofoam popcorn and it shoulda been sprayed and it wouldnt have fell.to late and good luck
I think the popcorn ceilings have the same thing, that styrofoam cups have. It's not asbestos. When you paint, some of it always falls off. Just vaccum it up.
goto google and type in : popcorn ceiling,,,asbestos,,abestos.





I dont think they ever used abestos for this but you should read it out.
Even if it is asbestos it's only dangerous if you breathe it. Get a good HEPA filter on your vac and suck it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment