Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Roller Marks with Flat Ceiling Paint?

I recently painted my living room. I primered the entire room first. Then I used a flat white paint for the ceiling and a semi-gloss blue for the walls. The walls came out great but the ceiling had roller marks all over it. I applied a second coat on the ceiling but am getting the same ugly roller marks. Why? Are flat paints less forgiving? Is there something I am missing?


Should I reapply another coat with long straight strokes as opposed to short strokes in many directions? Help!Roller Marks with Flat Ceiling Paint?
First of all These are called Holidays a painters term for rollor marks, The rule of thumb is that where the sun comes through the window, then paint your ceiling cross ways so if the window is on the south side of the house then roll you paint out east and west and after it starts to dry then go over it again with just your paint roller, this is call back rolling, Do you know the term Boxing your paint? This is where you take all your paint of the same and pour it into a 5 gal. bucket and back into another 5 gal bucket, the buckets are call 5's do this a few times and your paint will be mixed better then what the paint store can do. You could get by just by putting on another coat of paint but back roll it this time and box your paint first,Roller Marks with Flat Ceiling Paint?
I'm sorry for the problems you have had with this darn ceiling. I personally have not had this problem in the past. But I have painted many ceilings, and they are not a fun thing to paint. With that said I am afraid to suggest you try another coat. You chose the correct paint finish for the ceiling, since you picked flat. That is what is usually used. Maybe you are using the wrong type of roller. Is your ceiling rough, semi-rough, semi-smooth, or smooth? That is the only suggestion I have. Get a new roller, that is made for the type of ceiling you have, and try again. I wish you the best of luck!
You need lessons in painting, that's the problem. You are applying too much pressure on the roller. Lighten up.





Now you need to sand those marks or skim coat the entire ceiling with joint compound.





This is a living room and the walls are semi? Yuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment