Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have paint on my ceiling from painting my walls?

....I'm a first time painter, and watched a lot of shows about painting, and read a lot of books. I did a good job with everything except getting paint on my ceiling.


I scored the ceiling line so paint wouldn't bleed through, but I still got some paint on the ceiling from ';cutting in'; with a 2'; brush.


How can I remove that paint off the white ceiling?


And how can I paint walls without touching the ceiling? I don't like the edgers because I've never heard any good things about them.


Do I have to resort to painter's tape on the ceiling as well?I have paint on my ceiling from painting my walls?
No, just take your time. If you are referring to hitting the ceiling with the roller, you will probably have to touch up the ceiling. But if you are referring to cutting in, with your brush, either you got in a hurry or probably you cheaped out on the brush, that you are using. Try a good quality brush. No need to tape off. Just take your time and cut it in. I prefer a larger brush, than a 2 inch but thats up to you. And one other thing that might help is thin the paint enough that it is easy to work with, but dont thin too much. Heck your already one step ahead of most, because you are attempting to do it yourself. As far as the edgers go, they work great. But you have to still load it with the brush. They dont cut in perfectly but they get the worst of it for you. Then you can true it up with your (quality) brush. Its the red edger with the rollers(is the best one) I am not sure of the brand but home depot has them.I have paint on my ceiling from painting my walls?
Yes! I always put wide painters tape on the ceiling when I'm painting my walls. I also put it on window frames, door frames, moulding, and on the floor/carpet before dropping a tarp to cover the rest of the floor. It's a huge pain in the tush, but there is nothing better than peeling all the painter's tape off and seeing a perfect paint job.





As for getting the paint off of your ceiling, I'm really not sure, because pretty much anything will take off the existing paint that's already there. My best advice is to possibly carefully sand down the paint until you get to your ceiling paint (I would use an emery board or a very small piece of fine grade sandpaper if you are even thinking about trying this). Or getting an artists brush and painting white over the mistakes until they aren't visible any longer (at least not as visible as the boo boo paint).





Depending on where the mistake is, you might even be able to cover it up with something else, like a hanging plant or light fixture (hey, anythings possible).





Good Luck to you and congrats on your new paint job :-) It's so satisfying when you do it yourself, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment