Thursday, February 18, 2010

Best way to paint ceiling & edges?

I am trying to find the best technique to paint my walls without making a mess of the ceiling %26amp; trim. I've already tried using those shur-line edge painters with the whells but I seem to be making a mess and cannot get nice clean edges. Help!!!!Best way to paint ceiling %26amp; edges?
I worked as a painter for four or five years. The best way to deal with this situation is to practice 'cutting in' on a piece of scrap wood or on a part of the wall you're going to paint over.





Go to the corner of the room you're going to paint. Dip your brush in the bucket (make sure it's a good one without any stray or curled hairs), wipe one side off on the lip of the can. Take the side with the paint on it and face it to the wall. Angle the brush slightly as you follow the edge of the wall down toward the floor. The paint will 'bleed' through the bristles and onto the wall, you can control it by bending the brush slightly as you run it down the wall, the paint will squeeze out, sort of like a ketchup squeeze bottle. Always start at the top and work down, that way you'll catch drips. When you're comfortable painting straight down the corner, try along the top edge of the wall near the ceiling (use a stepladder).





Don't take the full bucket up onto the stepladder, pour some into a paint tray; if you spill it, you won't lose all your paint. Wipe the edge of the can with your brush when you pour the paint into the tray, about half-full. The tray will have two hooks at the back on the bottom to hook onto your stepladder, they work great, saves lots of time.





Always work with a drop sheet and check the bottom of your shoes often as you step off the sheet.





Good luck!Best way to paint ceiling %26amp; edges?
I agree with the others, forget those edge painters. Lots of good advice given. You don't need mine. Good Luck.
a paint brush use properly for the edge and the a roller for the rest takes practice.
You've got to get a high quality edging brush. I just painted my whole house and it does make a difference. Don't overload the brush and take your time. Also if your ceiling is white and the edges are not perfectly straight you can use caulking, paint goes on smoother. Good Luck.
My husband and I had a house built last year. I decided that I would be the paint contractor. Wow! What a job!


I am greatful#1 for the $8,000 that we saved, #2 for the tricks of the trade that I learned. I am happy to pass along what I now know. Our friend came and helped with the caulking and taught me some tricks. He is a painter. As far as the cutting in...he said fake it, do not paint all the way to the ceiling. Leave a tiny bit of space in between the wall and the cieilng, just get it straight. It works. It is really the getting the paint on the ceiling that looks bad. Another tip I learned, when painting...always add a tiny bit of water to every gallon of paint(like an eighth of a cup) It makes the paint go on so much better...and I always use good paint. Make sure you are painting with quality angled brushes when you are cutting in. I painted a 2200 square foot house, with color on every wall (reds, greens, golds, blues...I'm talking color) and white ceilings and trim. It looks beautiful, you would never know it wasn't painted by a professional. Actually another family member was building at the same time, and even used alot of the same colors...and there was mess-ups everywhere with the paintjob...I was glad I did it myself. (even though it took a month of 12 hour days)
Use Painter's Tape -- it works. Make sure you remove it carefully when finished, because otherwise it may take some of your new paint with it.
MY CEILING IS STUCCO AND TAPE WAS NOT AN OPTION ON THE CEILING, SO I USED VERY LIGHT PAINT COATING ON THE TIP OF THE BRUSH. JUST PAINT ABOUT A 2 INCH (OR SO DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH) STROKE FROM THE CORNER OF THE WALL WHERE IT MEETS THE CEILING, START AT THE CORNER AND WORK DOWNWARDS. EDGES AND DETAILS I USED BLUE PAINTERS TAPE.
use roller and tape
use non drip paint ? hehehe
I always use wide painters tape. That way, you can be messy over the line. When the paint's dry, you peeel off the tape, and voila! Straight line.
the best thing I have found it just Scotch blue painters tape and plastic....use the tape to line the edges of what you do and then cover the rest with the plastic (using the tape to hold it down). This is a time consuming process but it is the best way to get good clean lines...and it will also make clean up easy because any drips will be on the plastic and you can just roll it up and throw it away.
The best way is a 3'; angled soft bristled brush and cut in the paint to the ceiling and the paint to any trim. Just take your time and you will get it right.
if your ceilings are painted,put masking tape(specailly for painting),on the edge. use a very nine tip brush and that should do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment